2014

2014

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's a . . . .

BOY! And, the baby looks completely healthy with no signs of club feet or any other deformities! There is one area of concern that we will be watching, but it has to do with me, not the baby. Because I have had 4 previous c-sections, I have some built up scar tissue on my uterus. When the placenta attaches to the uterus, it does so in one spot. If that spot is by the scarred tissue, it can cause some complications at delivery. And, my placenta is attached pretty low, pretty close to my scar. What can happen is that if the placenta actually attaches to the scar tissue itself, it can create the placenta to remain attached to the uterus at delivery, causing me to bleed. Worse case scenario means that if it does do this, they will have to give me a hysterectomy during the c-section or I will bleed to death. Other less serious complications could be that they would actually have to cut into the placenta to get the baby out, which still causes me to bleed more, and just general extra bleeding during the surgery. Most of the risks are minimal as long as they know that's what they are dealing with because they take the precautions for it in the first place. Having said all that, the doctor today wasn't sure if I actually have this or not. He thinks there is a pretty good chance that as the baby grows and my uterus gets bigger, it might pull the placenta up and away from my scar. So, he said that what I'll have to do is have another ultrasound at 32 weeks to see where everything is sitting. They will also be checking the flow of blood through the blood vessels at that time to make sure it doesn't look like it has grown into my uterus. So, I guess it's something still to be determined. I'm not too worried at this point because it sounds like I'm most likely not going to have this problem. My doctor has actually talked to me about this possibility in my previous pregnancies as well, so it wasn't such a shocking thing to hear because I've known it could happen. It doesn't create any problems during the pregnancy, which is nice, only during delivery. So, that's how it all went!

7 comments:

Eve said...

Diana,

Congrats on another boy. I love that you have a pattern. We'll be hoping that you don't have those complications. Much love, Eve

Annalisa said...

Woohoo, another boy! I'm sure Isaac will be thrilled. Those issues are a little scary and I hope everything works out for the best, at least your doctor has a heads up and can prepare for the worst. When are you due again?

Kimberly said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you guys. And it makes me even more excited to find out if dad can get 2 out of 2 correct!! Let's just hope that he's head doesn't get too big after Friday, tee hee. I'll call ya soon!! Glad everything went so well and it was great talking to you!!

Wendy said...

That's cool it's another boy! Our baby boys will only be a few months apart. That means we have to get together more often.

Laura said...

Woo hoo for finding out you're having a boy. Boo for the placenta situation. You'll be in my prayers.

junebee said...

Congratulations! How exciting. I hope everything goes well with the placenta attaching anywhere other than scar tissue. At least it doesn't sound like it's too serious, and won't complicate your pregnancy. Good luck!

Jenn said...

Tis the season for boys, eh? ;) Really, you're just following MY lead! ;) (Even though you started it before I was even married!) Congrats!