2014

2014

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Eden's Surgery

Eden had surgery on her foot this morning. She had to get a tendon released on the arch of her foot, have a tendon moved over a few inches on the top of her foot, and get a tendon released on her fourth toe. It went really well, and we are home now, thank goodness! The hardest part was the couple of hours after surgery. They did have to put her under, and that is always hard to wake up from. She was pretty sad at the hospital in the recovery rooms. She actually woke up on her way back from the operating room, so by the time I got there, she had already been awake and was scared. I felt bad about that! She was in the first recovery room for about 40 minutes, then moved into another recovery room for about an hour, and then we got to come home. When she was finally able to eat a little, that helped a ton!! I think the pain meds helped a bit too! I'm sure we are still in for some rough moments for the next couple of days, but I'm glad to be past the hospital. Primary's is a great hospital, but it is not my favorite place. I didn't try to, but I couldn't help think about Caydin as we were driving there this morning. It was the last place I got to hold my sweet boy. I can still smell the medicines that seeped through his body, and it was sooo hard to smell that same smell on Eden today. It is such a low risk surgery, but for Rob and I, it was so much harder than even normal, which still isn't a fun experience for anyone! After Eden went into surgery, Rob and I decided to go down to the cafeteria to get something to eat. I have to be honest and admit that I was kind of nervous to do so because I remember going down to the cafeteria the first night Caydin was there in the PICU. Even though we have been to the hospital many times since he passed away, we have never had to go back to that end of the hospital. So, I still associate that side with Caydin. But, I was relieved to see that they have totally remodeled that whole area, so it wasn't familiar one bit! That was a blessing! I'm glad we did go down because they originally were only going to release that bottom tendon and her toe, but after taking the cast off this morning and looking at her foot, the doctor felt like it would be very beneficial to also move the top tendon over a couple of inches. So, as a result, what was suppose to be a 45 minute procedure turned into a 2 hour procedure, and with the recovery, we ended up being there from 8:45 in the morning until 2:00 this afternoon! I would have been so sick if we hadn't of eaten! So, anyway, that has been our day. She now has lortab for a pain killer, but hopefully we won't have to use it too much. She probably won't be able to walk on it until at least tomorrow, but it could be a little longer. I'm sure it is going to be sore and sensitive! Oh, and we can't see any of the work that was done because they did put a cast over the top of it. She will have that on for 4 weeks, and then she will be DONE with her casts for a long time, I hope!!!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Here's wishing for a speedy recovery for little Miss Eden!!
I can't say that I understand Diana, but I feel for you. What a draining day - in many ways!
Love you and wish you all the best in every way.

Lesa said...

I am glad that Eden is doing well and that you guys were able to make it through the day at the hospital.

junebee said...

Good luck Eden! And of course you and Rob, too. :) I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Glad to hear your experience in the hospital went ok.

Jenn said...

Glad it all worked out for the best. Speedy recovery, Eden!

Annalisa said...

Wow, I honestly think about you every single day and all that you've been through. I am sure it was an emotional day. Good luck to Eden.