2014

2014

Monday, April 14, 2008

Isaac Singing and News


So, I finally got a small video of Isaac singing. It's pretty short, but I still think it's cute! He can really go on and sing it with full gusto when he wants to!
For financial reason, we are going to be getting rid of our internet for a little while. I'm still planning on updating my blog, hopefully at least once a week, but it will depend on how often I go to somebody's house with an internet I can use. The rate I've been posting the last couple of weeks it won't be any different anyway!
In other news, EmmaLee has broken two teeth through (the bottom middle two) in the last two weeks, which probably explains the bad nights all of the sudden! I'm sure more are on the way too! I wish teething didn't have to be so uncomfortable for babies!
I can't believe how quickly Eden is growing up. She is becoming more and more a little girl everyday! Lately, she has taken to calling me "mother". We'll be at the store, and she'll turn to me and ask seriously, "Mother, can I have ---", and if I say yes to whatever it is she is asking for, she'll say back, "Thank you." It's so funny because it's this little girl and she sounds so proper and all! I have to laugh! Also, when she's around either my little brother and sister, or cousins instead of calling them by their names, she calls them "friends". One example that I thought was so funny was when we were at Zion's on one of the small hikes, Thomas and Laurie had run ahead with my dad, and Eden decided to try to catch up to them, and instead of calling their names, she yelled after them, "Friends, wait for me!" It's funny to me that even though we were all kids once ourselves, kids still manage to catch us by surprise with the way they say and do things!
On a more serious note, although I know it's much more nerve wracking to me than anybody else just because it's my kid, we have to take Isaac in on Wednesday to Primary's to get some dental work done. I hate to admit this because I'm so ashamed that my lack of attention is somewhat to blame for his problems, but about 4 weeks ago I was brushing Isaac's teeth, which he hates and fights me with horribly. Because he fights me so bad, I haven't been the best at brushing everyday, and I never really checked his teeth after brushing just because he was usually so upset I would finish and just let him go. Well, 4 weeks ago I had a feeling to check his teeth after I had finished brushing them, just to make sure I had gotten them good enough. I was horrified to see that at the gum line on all four of his front teeth were big old craters of cavities! At first I thought I had just really missed some food, but when I tried to brush them, I realized they were actually holes with cavities! I felt awful! I called my pediatricians office to see if they could recommend a good pediatric dentist, and they did and I made an appointment. We went in, and sure enough, he has cavities on both the front and back of all four front teeth, as well as big cavities in 3 molars. Because he is so young, we have to take him up to Primary's to get the work done. They basically put them out and do all the work at once. He will have to get caps for all four of his front teeth, and possibly two of the three molars. One molar will probably just need a simple filling. I know that other children have had to do this, including my two youngest siblings and two of my nieces and nephews as well. I know this is a fairly normal procedure that they do often with kids now, so there is really nothing to worry too much about, but I know I'm still going to be a basket case when it's time. I'm trying not to be, but first of all, I know even though it's normal, he's going to have a few rough days after the procedure just because it doesn't usually feel good to get dental work done, let alone so much at one time! I also feel guilty because I feel like he's going to have to endure this pain because of me. The dentist thinks that the cavities are from two main things. One, he uses a bottle still, and at night still as well. I knew this wasn't the best thing, but to be honest, Caydin used a bottle after I weaned him up until about 2 months before he passed away, and his teeth weren't like this! I've also brushed my kids teeth all about the same, and neither Caydin nor Eden have had cavities like this! So, the second factor that added to Isaac's development of cavities is because he's a mouth breather at night. For some reason breathing through your mouth at night I guess can cause cavities. So, the combination of bottle use, not the best brushing, and mouth breathing created a prime environment for cavities. I couldn't do much about the mouth breathing, but the other two I wish I'd been better at! Anyway, I think it would be hard enough going through the procedure anyway, but two other things are also making it more nerve wracking. One, Isaac has asthma, which has the potential to make him going under slightly more risky. They will do a physical on him before the procedure to make sure his lungs are clear enough. If they are not, they will reschedule. Two, I hate hospitals ever since Caydin passed away, and it's even harder that this is the same hospital that Caydin passed away in! It's a different area of the hospital, but I still am not looking forward to having to sit in a waiting room, waiting for it to get done! Caydin had a small surgery when he was 9 months old, and I'm pretty sure we'll be in the same waiting room, so there will be some memories and thoughts of Caydin while we are waiting! I think it's also going to be hard to see Isaac when he gets out and we get to go back with him. I'm sure he'll still be groggy from the anesthetic, and I don't think I'm going to like seeing him like that AT ALL! But, I don't know how to get around it. He has to get his teeth taken care of, and I'm amazed he's not crying everyday out of pain! Maybe this is why he doesn't eat very well! It hurts too much! Anyway, I've got to go, but if anyone who reads this will say a small prayer for us for Wednesday to go smoothly for us, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

3 comments:

Cami said...

Wow, you are very brave. Calvin has holes in all of his front teeth, too. I'm scared to even take him in. I used the exact same brushing routine for Bryn as I do for Calvin, and Bryn was cavity-free while Calvin's teeth are just terrible. Okay, since you can do it (and I know how you hate hospitals), maybe I can, too. I'll be praying for you!

Emily said...

I'll be praying for you guys Diana. Not only that things will go well for Isaac but that you'll have comfort while you're there. I have lots of bad memories associated with hospitals too. It's hard. I wish I had some great advice but I don't. And don't beat yourself up about it. Some people just have really weak teeth. You're a good mommy! It was fun to see you on Saturday.

Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry that Issac has to endure that procedure and more so for you too. It's the most difficult thing to watch your children in pain or suffer that's for sure. But hopefully things will go well and he'll feel better when it's all over with. I'll be praying for you and hope that you will have the comfort of the spirit to be with you on that day. I can't imagine facing the things you've gone through in losing Caydin. You are a very strong woman with great faith. We'll be thinking about you! On a brighter note, love the cute video and the fun things your kids are doing. Eden is so funny! Hope things go well and that this week will fly by for ya!