2014

2014

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sshhh

I have to start practicing saying that because I just got a new job as a circulation clerk (modern word for librarian) at the local library! I applied for this job a couple of weeks ago, but didn't hear from them until this last Tuesday. They called and set up an interview for today at 1:30, to which I went. I felt like it went pretty good, but you know how it is, as you are driving home you rehash every detail and wonder if what you said or did was stupid or not! They had told me that they had interviewed 6 people for the position, but that I was the last one of the six. So, I thought I would have to wait a little while to hear back, but less than an hour later, they called and offered me the job! I am really excited! It is only 16-18 hours a week, which is just fine for me. It will be enough to survive on, and it is only 7 minutes from my house, instead of 50 through major construction on the freeway for a lousy 5-8 hours a week, which really doesn't pay the bills; in fact I don't think it was really even paying for the gas! I love the atmosphere of libraries, so really, if I had to have a get by job right now, this is one of the top places I would pick! What's even more ironic is that there is a chance that I will have to call them back and turn it down because Rob has an interview tomorrow for a graphic design job! We are hopeful with his interview, but know that the chances could still be far less of getting it than getting it, so we are grateful that if it doesn't work out, we will have something else to fall back on. We didn't expect the library to get back to us so soon, so when Rob got his interview, we thought we'd get through both our interviews before either one of them offered so we'd know better what our choices were! But, since the library called back so soon, we felt like it would be stupid to turn it down, but I will feel bad if I have to call so soon and turn them down. I won't feel nearly as bad doing that, though, than I would have been to turn them down today and then have Rob not get his job! I should be starting next week, but I have to go take my drug test first thing in the morning before they can officially schedule me. I almost can't believe how easy and fast it all happened! It seems like we have been waiting for soooooo long for anything, and suddenly I get an interview and an hour later I actually got the job! Can it really be that easy, after all this time?! It's still not that career job for Rob, but it is sure better than what we've had and we can finally see how we can at least pay for the basic necessities! Rob is planning on doing online school starting in January, so at least now we feel like we are actually progressing towards something instead of just struggling to just survive! We still have a long way to go, but at least I think we've hit that rock bottom and are actually starting our climb back up!!

8 comments:

Cami said...

What a cool job- I've always wanted to work in a library!

Annalisa said...

YAY! That's great news! There are not many jobs out there and what is available has so many people applying for, so you should feel pretty great. Congrats.

Kimberly said...

I'm glad things are starting to work out for you! I love reading so I'd probably get fired from reading on the job! Ha! Ha! I hope everything goes well with Rob's interview, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! See you soon!!

Karen said...

What wonderful news!! I hope things work out for both of you. Working at a library? What a dream job.

Wendy said...

That's great news!

Lesa said...

That sounds like such a fun job! Hope Rob's interview goes well! Good luck and I will call you this week!

Laura said...

Oooh... working in a library is every thinking girl's dream, isn't it? It sounds great. And as for maybe having to turn it down, I wouldn't worry about that for a second. It happens all the time in job markets. You didn't sign a contract. Now if you were to give your new boss a wedgie and then quit, well that would be rude.

Jenn said...

I think that any job at a library would be so cool! I hope things work out for you guys!