2014

2014

Saturday, May 7, 2011

German Pancake

This is a recipe from The Food Nanny, who can be seen on PBS. I bought her cookbook, and, so far, I have liked the recipes I have made from it! I think this is going to be a new favorite! My husband's father came to the US from Germany right after WWII. He was only 5, and his family had to sneak out. My father-in-law carried all his family's important documents in a toy briefcase as they went by security. They were able to make it, and lived here in Utah the rest of their lives! While this is not a recipe from the family, we made it on my husband's Oma's (grandmother) birthday a couple of weeks ago. It looks a bit funny, but tastes great! Also, I was a bit hesitant to make the sour cream topping, but made it anyway, and I LOVE it! The recipe calls for strawberries, but recommends raspberries as well. I have made both (the picture is with raspberries), and they are both good! Also, because this is more of an egg recipe, some of my kids prefer it plain with ketchup. I like the sweet version myself, but I also like how it is more of a protein dish for the morning because of the eggs. It's really easy to make! Enjoy!




1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter (not margarine)
3 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or half of a 16-ounce package frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed and sliced
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon brown sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the butter into a 10-inch ovenproof skillet and place it in the oven. (As an alternative to a skillet, use a 9-inch round baking dish.)
2. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, flour, milk, and salt in a blender.
3. When the butter has melted, carefully pull out the oven rack and quickly pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the pancake is puffed up and lightly browned. It will flatten slightly after it comes out of the oven.
4. Sweeten the strawberries with the granulated sugar in a small bowl and mix the sour cream with the brown sugar in a separate small bowl.
5. Cut the pancake into wedges and serve on individual plates. Top with the strawberries and sweetened sour cream.

Variations
*Use raspberries instead of strawberries.
*Double the recipe, using a larger skillet or baking dish, such as a 9 x 13-inch pan.

2 comments:

Cami said...

I love German pancakes so much. I could eat a whole pan myself! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Marsha said...

This looks delicious. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.